New Year’s Eve Celebrations In The Town Of Banff
In downtown Banff there is the equivalent of a mini Times Square where Banff Avenue intersects with Caribou Street. Each year crowds gather to watch New Year’s Eve fireworks light up the sky. The section of Banff Avenue between Buffalo and Wolf Street turns into a pedestrian only zone from 7pm onwards. This year for Canada’s 150th birthday the celebration in Banff is being expanded. There will be street entertainment, children’s activities, games, warming shelters and food booths.
Banff High School Skating Rink – Family fun from 7-9pm. There are fire pits, hot chocolate, entertainment and an early bird countdown for the little ones. Bring your skates or rent a pair in town.
Mount Norquay New Year’s Eve Torchlight Parade – From Banff town look towards Mount Norquay at 7pm. You will be able to see the parade of skiers with lit up torches coming down the summit of the North American chair.
Banff Restaurants And Pubs With New Year’s Eve Menus Or Entertainment
Many restaurants offer special New Year’s Eve menus or multi-course dinners and/or live entertainment. The celebrations range from casual to formal gala style events. Banff is a popular destination for New Year’s Eve so make sure you buy tickets or book reservations well in advance.
Below is a list of options with New Year’s Eve menus or entertainment. Other restaurants or pubs may be open with regular menu offerings. Check the hours if you are interested in a specific place, they may be modified for New Year’s Eve.
Wild Bills – Offering an authentic western buffet and live music, party favours and midnight snacks. 201 Banff Avenue (403) 762-0333 Wildillsbanff.com
Maple Leaf Grill – Offering an a la carte menu between 5 and 6pm or a 5 course chef’s menu after 8pm. Those dining from the chef’s menu will have entry to the sister property the Park Distillery from 11:30pm onwards to celebrate with live music. (403) 760-7689 Maple Leaf Grill/New Years Eve
Park Distillery – Two dinner seatings, an early 4 course dinner at 8pm where children are welcome and an after 8pm 5 course dinner with a band and celebrations (no minors) 219 Banff Avenue (403) 762-5114 Parkdistillery.com/New Years Eve
The Rose & Crown – Offering a party with a live band and a 3 course dinner. Tickets are available for the party only or for both events. 202 Banff Avenue (403) 762-2121 RosseandCrown.ca
The Elk & Oarsman – Several options available, A La Carte menu, 3 course dinner, live music, rooftop patio for viewing fireworks, party favours, champagne at midnight. Hair of the dog breakfast buffet from 10am to 1pm on January 1st. 119 Banff Avenue (403) 762-4616 ElkandOarsman.com
Sleeping Buffalo Dining Room – Located at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge. They are offering a New Years Eve menu with entertainment, dancing and sparkling wine at midnight. Reservations required. On New Year’s day they have a breakfast buffet menu, first come first serve. 700 Tunnel Mountain Road (800) 661-1367 or (403) 410-7417 CRMR.com/Buffalo
Chinook Restaurant at the Banff Park Lodge -Gourmet dinner buffet from 6-10pm. A countdown celebration will be held in the glacier room with a DJ. It’s free for guests and $20 for non-guests. A New Year’s Day brunch is being offered in the Chinook restaurant. 222 Lynx Street (403) 760-3255 BanffParkLodge.com
Balkan – New Year’s Eve 3 course menu early and late night seating with classic Greek dishes. The later seating includes belly dancing, party favours and a countdown with a glass of sparkling wine. 120 Banff Avenue (403) 762-3454 BanffBalkan.ca
The Beaver Bar– located in the Samesun backpackers. New Year’s Ever Party with drink specials, no cover. 433 Banff Avenue (403) 762-4499 Samesun.com/TheBeaver
Brunos Bar and Grill –live entertainment with no cover 304 Caribou Street (403) 762-8115 BrunosBanff.com
Fairmont Banff Springs New Years Gala – several festive activities and events for adults and children. 405 Spray Avenue 403-762-2211 Fairmont.com/Banff Springs
- Van Horne Ballroom – 4 course dinner, party favours, orchestra, dancing, midnight snack buffet. After 8pm there is a kids new years party for 6-12 year olds. Teen dance, bowling and kids activities at the Banff springs conference center.
- Bow Valley Grill dinner buffet from 5-9pm and a New Year’s Day Brunch.
- Banff Springs – 1888 Chop House New Year’s Eve 4 or 7 course dinner. Two seatings. 405 Spray Avenue 5pm seating 4 courses, 8pm seating 7 courses
- Grapes Wine Bar – intimate candlelight setting, seatings at 6 and 8pm.
Rimrock Resort Hotel – Several dining options and entertainment 300 Mountain Avenue, (403) 762-3356 Rimrockresort.com/
- Roaring 20’s Ballroom Gala – adult and separate children’s buffet designed just for them. Jazz trio entertainment during the meal and DJ afterwards. Semi-formal.
- Eden Restaurant – 6 course gourmet menu in Canada’s only 5 Diamond dining room. Dress code is elegant. After 9:30pm join the Ballroom for celebrations and a midnight toast.
- Primrose Restaurant – 5 course gourmet meal. Semi-formal. After dinner join the Ballroom for celebrations and a midnight toast.
Banff Accommodation Settings To Celebrate New Year’s Eve
Sunshine Mountain Lodge – Located on Sunshine Mountain is Banff’s only ski-in, ski-out accommodation. If you’re looking for a special way to celebrate New Year’s on the ski slopes Sunshine Mountain lodge provides its guests live music, tobogganing, bonfires and access to watch the Sunshine Mountain torchlight parade. 1 Sunshine access Rd, Banff (403) 705-4000 SunshineMountainLodge.com
Castle Mountain Resort – Located halfway between Banff and Lake Louise at the Castle Junction the resort offers New Year’s Eve events at their main lodge or T-Bar pub with live music and party treats for a cover charge. There’s also a free bonfire. Hwy 93 S and Hwy 1A, Castle Junction (403) 762-3868 CastleMountain.com
New Year’s Eve Celebrations At Banff Nightclubs
Dancing Sasquatch – tickets include party favours, live DJ, champagne cocktail and a lightshow. 120 Banff Avenue (403) 762-4002 BanffSasquatch.com/New Year’s Eve
HooDoo Lounge – DJ pumping out music, party favours and champagne cocktails. 137 Banff Avenue in the King Edward Hotel (403) 760-8636 HoodooBanff.com
Lake Louise New Year’s Eve Celebrations
Deer Lodge – New Year’s Eve menu 109 Lake Louise Drive (403) 522-4202 CRMR.com/Deer
Post Hotel – New Year’s Eve Gala, an elegant black tie event with a champagne reception. Sampling of hors d’ oeuvres and then an 8 course gourmet dinner and dancing to a live band. The Post also offers a New Year’s Eve day brunch. 200 Pipestone Road, Lake Louise (403) 522-3989 PostHotel.com
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise Hotel – The Chateau has several options for celebrating New Years. 111 Lake Louise Drive (403) 522-3511 Fairmont.com/Lake Louise
- Mount Temple Wing – Early children’s countdown at 10pm with face painting, a bouncy castle, magician and balloon artist as well as games.
- Chateau Lobby – A celebration from 10:30pm to 1pm with dancing, festivities and a cash bar.
- Fairview dining Room -Adult 4 course meal offered from 5:30 to 10pm.
- Victoria Dining Room – offering a New Year’s Day brunch with two seating options.
- Other options include booking a snowshoe adventure tour that goes from 11pm to 1am. A heritage guide takes you out to bring in the New Year in a memorable way. Or spend New Year’s Eve on the frozen lake. The Ice Castle and skating rink will be lit up until 12:30 am.
Lake Lousie Ski Resort – Torchlight Dinner & Ski: Full Package includes Lift Ticket, Après drinks, appetizers & live music at the mid-mountain lodge, first tracks down a freshly groomed green run, and finishes with a buffet dinner and entertainment. Or book the dinner and entertainment only. 1 Whitehorn Rd, Lake Louise (403) 522-3555 Skilouise.com/Torchlight dinner and ski event